Dometic Toilet Problem

JohnM20 replied on 08/07/2019 07:32

Posted on 08/07/2019 07:32

My 2015 Lunar 524 has a Dometic toilet, CTW 4050 which has developed a problem. After I have filled the flush water tank to maximum and then flushed the toilet for the first time, even though the pump has stopped running water continues to constantly run into the bowl, probably due to siphonic action. This continues until the flush water tank is an estimated half full but by this time the bowl is almost full. Has anyone else had this problem or can offer any meaningful advice as to cause and rectification?

My additional concerns are that the bowl could overflow if we were not aware of it filling up and also that, if the waste cassette is getting ready for emptying there is nowhere for this excess water to be drained to. I have noticed black 'bits' in the flush water (although this is nothing new) and wondered if a 'bit' has stopped a valve from closing properly (I don't know if there is such a valve).

I must add that as a toilet I much prefer the Thetford made models that I have had in previous caravans. The blade operation on my Dometic is nowhere near as good as Thetford and although very regularly treated with silicone spray / grease it very quickly becomes difficult to operate the blade slide. The slide is thoroughly cleaned every two or three cassette emptyings. The handbook recommends this treatment once or twice a year if the toilet is used frequently.

I hope someone can come up with a solution as we will be going away again soon.

richardandros replied on 08/07/2019 12:52

Posted on 08/07/2019 12:52

John - you have my sympathy.  We have a new Knaus Starclass 695 which had that toilet fitted.  It was useless! Like you, I found the blade difficult to operate - despite there being plenty of silicone grease on it and my continual spraying with silicone.  It leaked from the blade every time it was tipped up for emptying.  The stupid, over-complicated telescopic handle jammed in the open position and then, finally, the flush mechanism packed up altogether.  Added to which the wheels are so small on the cassette that they were useless on anything but smooth tarmac. All that in 5 months.

The dealer was unable to do anything under warranty other than to swap it for an identical model and based on their experience of continual problems with Dometic toilets, I paid them to have it changed to a tried and trusty Thetford. It went in perfectly other than the fact that the flush is now taken from the internal water tank, rendering the outside filler cap superfluous.

You may laugh - but on our recent three week holiday in Cornwall, it was a joy to use and empty as compared with all the hassle I had with that useless Dometicembarassed

JohnM20 replied on 08/07/2019 16:04

Posted on 08/07/2019 16:04

R&R, I'm sorry to hear that you have had similar problems to me re the blade mechanism but also pleased, in a way, that I'm not the only one to experience it. I wonder how many other CT members with the Dometic toilet have also had problems?

It has crossed my mind more than once about fitting a Thetford as a replacement but I guess it isn't a cheap option.

richardandros replied on 09/07/2019 05:12

Posted on 09/07/2019 05:12

John - if you do a search of other forums - as I did when I realised that Dometic toilets weren't as good as they made out - you will find loads of complaints similar to those I've highlighted. That was what swayed me in the end, to fix the problem once and for all.

I believe the dealer more or less did it at near cost price (so they said!) but it was still £600.  However, when balanced against what we had paid for the van and the fact that we are unlikely to be buying another, it seemed justifiable to me. I just wanted something I could rely on.

The only problem you might have is whether or not you have an inboard water tank. Although the toilet has gone into the van with no signs that it has been changed, if it had had a header tank, the filler holes don't line up on the outside of the van - so they fitted the model without the header tank (although it looks as if it has one, if you understand). Your van might be different, but I doubt it.

Sandgroper replied on 10/07/2019 17:19

Posted on 10/07/2019 17:19

'I believe the dealer more or less did it at near cost price (so they said!) but it was still £600. However, when balanced against what we had paid for the van and the fact that we are unlikely to be buying another, it seemed justifiable to me. I just wanted something I could rely on.'

Or something reliable to go on?

Sorry, I'll get my coat.....

JohnM20 replied on 16/07/2019 16:36

Posted on 16/07/2019 16:36

I've been in touch with Dometic UK several times in the last few days. Their customer service department has told me that the cause is the anti-siphon valve which has probably got some muck in it. This can be caused by using too much rinse aid, ( something that I don't often use). A possible solution is to flush through several header tanks of warm water to try to dislodge the bits. Although some black bits did come through it didn't cure the problem.

Failing this as a cure, I was told at it would need the valve removing from inside the toilet housing, a job for a service engineer. In view of this I have now asked twice for the name / location of a service engineer in our general area. So far I've had no response from Dometic about this. Pretty poor service.

Although we have very few caravan workshops around us we do have quite a lot of boat yards including boat builders. They must put toilets into new boats but do they fit Dometics, that is the question.

When I first emailed Dometic I had a reply within hours but by strange that they can't email with the name of a service agent. Very frustrating.

Any new caravan purchase in the future will NOT have Dometic equipment fitted having experienced problems with the Dometic fridge and now the toilet in the current caravan.

richardandros replied on 17/07/2019 05:47

Posted on 16/07/2019 16:36 by JohnM20

I've been in touch with Dometic UK several times in the last few days. Their customer service department has told me that the cause is the anti-siphon valve which has probably got some muck in it. This can be caused by using too much rinse aid, ( something that I don't often use). A possible solution is to flush through several header tanks of warm water to try to dislodge the bits. Although some black bits did come through it didn't cure the problem.

Failing this as a cure, I was told at it would need the valve removing from inside the toilet housing, a job for a service engineer. In view of this I have now asked twice for the name / location of a service engineer in our general area. So far I've had no response from Dometic about this. Pretty poor service.

Although we have very few caravan workshops around us we do have quite a lot of boat yards including boat builders. They must put toilets into new boats but do they fit Dometics, that is the question.

When I first emailed Dometic I had a reply within hours but by strange that they can't email with the name of a service agent. Very frustrating.

Any new caravan purchase in the future will NOT have Dometic equipment fitted having experienced problems with the Dometic fridge and now the toilet in the current caravan.

Posted on 17/07/2019 05:47

My overall impression of the Dometic toilet is that the design is over-complicated and the materials flimsy and just not up to the job. You did well for yours to last 4 years - we had all our problems within the first five months of ownership of the van and every time we used it, something else failed or didn't work properly. The flush mechanism failing was the final straw.

With regard to boats - they are a different beast altogether and I think you will find that Jabsco toilets are the preferred choice - another tried and tested brand that's been around for years in the marine world.

brenpet replied on 21/07/2019 23:06

Posted on 21/07/2019 23:06

I’ve just had to replace the sealing o ring under the blade of our Dometic toilet and was in disbelief at the cost of a rubber o ring £80 I think were all being taken for ride by these manufacturers. It’s cheap unreliable equipment at an eye watering price.

KjellNN replied on 22/07/2019 23:58

Posted on 09/07/2019 05:12 by richardandros

John - if you do a search of other forums - as I did when I realised that Dometic toilets weren't as good as they made out - you will find loads of complaints similar to those I've highlighted. That was what swayed me in the end, to fix the problem once and for all.

I believe the dealer more or less did it at near cost price (so they said!) but it was still £600.  However, when balanced against what we had paid for the van and the fact that we are unlikely to be buying another, it seemed justifiable to me. I just wanted something I could rely on.

The only problem you might have is whether or not you have an inboard water tank. Although the toilet has gone into the van with no signs that it has been changed, if it had had a header tank, the filler holes don't line up on the outside of the van - so they fitted the model without the header tank (although it looks as if it has one, if you understand). Your van might be different, but I doubt it.

Posted on 22/07/2019 23:58

You do not need to have an on board water tank to use a toilet without a flush tank, the water can be drawn from the Aquaroll.

Our previous van, a Sterling Eccles Emerald, had this arrangement, and it took us ages to remember that we had to keep the separate flush tank on our present van topped up!

The only slight drawback would be if you wanted to use and flush when stopped for, say, lunch, we got round this by having a small 10 litre water carrier that we dropped the external pump or water uptake into. This travelled in the back of the car.

The water was of course also handy for hand washing and kettle filling.

Whitedragon replied on 03/09/2019 17:34

Posted on 09/07/2019 05:12 by richardandros

Posted on 03/09/2019 17:34

I too have a Dometic in my Clubman SB and I hate it with a vengance - if I try to use the flush it ends up leaking onto the blade and then the floor, I have resorted to the pop bottle next to the loo! I've had it looked at  but short of taking the unit out the problem couldn't be found.  

I have been considering replacing it with a Thetford, so can I ask please what model Dometic did you have removed and what Thetford did you replace it with?

Thanks

Carole

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook