Dometic Fridge 2019 Elddis Affinity 554

Anne54 replied on 23/07/2021 21:30

Posted on 23/07/2021 21:30

I bought the caravan new.  After 6 months the fridge stopped working.  Two and a half months later I managed to get it fixed with a new PCB.

Now, the caravan is 2 1/2 years old and the fridge has packed up again. ( Once again in the middle of summer.)  I have to wait over two weeks for it to be inspected and am told that replacement parts could take up to 46 weeks!  The dealer says it is out of their control.

Anyone else with this problem?

I don't want to use the caravan until it's fixed.... any suggestions?   I can't even sell it in this state! which I now wish to do. 

Also, the caravan had to be returned after its April service for the front windows hinge bar to be resealed.  My neighbor who has an Elddis Avante 2018 had the same problem.  

replied on 24/07/2021 08:37

Posted on 24/07/2021 08:37

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

June Mo replied on 24/07/2021 20:14

Posted on 24/07/2021 20:14

My dometic interior fridge light works but the control panel lights a fraction of a second or not at all so I am unable to turn it on so stuck at campsite with no fridge. Almost seems like there's a loose connection. Everything else is working. Any ideas please as this is my first trip in a caravan which was serviced last week when fridge control panel passed as working??

replied on 25/07/2021 09:58

Posted on 24/07/2021 20:14 by June Mo

My dometic interior fridge light works but the control panel lights a fraction of a second or not at all so I am unable to turn it on so stuck at campsite with no fridge. Almost seems like there's a loose connection. Everything else is working. Any ideas please as this is my first trip in a caravan which was serviced last week when fridge control panel passed as working??

Posted on 25/07/2021 09:58

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Pippah45 replied on 26/07/2021 17:01

Posted on 26/07/2021 17:01

My Dometic fridge has been an absolute pain - mostly trying to get it to work on Gas.  Last week I was away without EHU and again it fails.  I will try the Dometic people.  

I have however managed an alternative and that is a couple of bags of Party Ice from most supermarkets - one in the veg box and one in the Ice box.  I remembered that from a holiday in France about 65 years ago when I went to the market every morning with Mum to buy the ice for the fridge for our holiday place in the South of France.  It is annoying to have to do it with a 2019 caravan but it works.  This time I made one mistake and I put the ice bag on the bottom shelf not in the drawer - result was a bit of a flood but I haven't had to throw any food away!  

Anne54 replied on 26/07/2021 22:51

Posted on 26/07/2021 22:51

My Dometic fridge is an RMS 8551.  Apparently production has now ceased on this model.  Are yours the same?

My interior light comes on when I open the door, despite all the power being switched off and I'm now worried it's draining the battery.

Are your fridges under the sink?  I'm wondering whether the slightest spillage of water, despite being careful, is the cause.  The front pull out panel of the PCB is not sealed at all and very susceptible to getting wet.

Pippah45 replied on 27/07/2021 14:17

Posted on 27/07/2021 14:17

A friend had one of those and it was water getting in for her.  Mine is a tall slim thing in the caravan not under the counter one.  I am not an expert but I think the light won't drain a lot from you battery - you could take the bulb out if worried?  

path replied on 22/08/2021 23:33

Posted on 22/08/2021 23:33

We too had a problem with our Dometic fridge in June in the middle of the heat wave. It just stopped working. It appears to be the PCB board. Two months later we are still waiting for the new part.There are at least one hundred people in the same position and they have no idea when the part will be delivered from Dometic. 
It’s just not good enough.Our caravan is only five years old and only used  a few weeks a year. 
We had to buy a cool box(£100) to see us to the end of our holiday and this is what we have to use when we go away. 
Dometic need to get their act together.

Dave Nicholson replied on 24/08/2021 16:14

Posted on 24/08/2021 16:14

Our German neighbour has a 2018 Dethleffs Camper twin axle caravan with Dometic fridge freezer. On arrival at the site his fridge refused to work. He called the electrician from a local Italian shop and he came out almost immediately. He condemned the fridge and persuaded our neighbour to buy a free standing fridge freezer from him which he did. Yesterday I had a look at the Dometic Fridge. Sometimes the control panel lit up for a few seconds but as soon as a mode was selected all the lights went off. At other times the lights on the control panel would not illuminate at all. I took the outside lower vent off and checked for both a 230V and a 12V supply. Both were healthy. There’s a standalone 230/12V power supply at the rear of the fridge with two small removable plastic covers. When I took them  off to check the connections, one of the small plugs that go into the power supply was loose. It appeared there was no locking feature on the small plug/socket so vibration during travelling could have loosened the small 3 pin plug. When The plug was securely in its socket the fridge worked perfectly. It’s definitely worth looking at if you have problems with your Dometic fridge. A 10 minute check could save you a 46 week wait for a replacement PCB and a sizeable repair bill.

GillAndRobin replied on 04/10/2021 13:55

Posted on 04/10/2021 13:55

Just reading all the above on Dometic fridges because the door to our NEW fridge (less than 6 months old) fell off on my foot two weeks ago. I was pretty shocked at the acceptance of this as a ´known fault´ by both    my dealer and Dometic. I’m also very surprised that Elddis continue to fit these fridges with this fault. The fridge is positioned sufficiently high above the floor that it could cause serious injury. Indeed the door punctured the floor of our van where the corner of the door hit the floor, the remainder falling on my ankle and causing painful bruising.

Not impressed with Elddis or Dometic wrt this issue!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook