Battery trickle charging

warrant1145 replied on 12/07/2023 09:27

Posted on 12/07/2023 09:27

Hi, I would like to install a trickle charge battery system to my caravan. I'm not interested In fixing a solar panel to the roof. I'm looking for something that I can put in the front window of my van and connect to the battery in order to maintain the voltage. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Bill T

EmilysDad replied on 12/07/2023 11:17

Posted on 12/07/2023 11:17

A CTek charger connected either directly to the battery or a connection point inside the caravan .... I used the terminals on the mover on my last caravan. Don't forget to turn off the caravan's built in charger 👍

warrant1145 replied on 12/07/2023 12:18

Posted on 12/07/2023 12:18

I should clarify. I'm looking for something that can be connected to my battery whilst my van is storage. No mains supply is available. I had a look at the CTek and I don't believe this meets my needs. Thanks for the suggestion

Bakers2 replied on 12/07/2023 12:55

Posted on 12/07/2023 12:55

We brought, probably still have somewhere, from Maplins - remember them? A solar panel that clipped onto our car battery  with crocodile clips and the panel 9 x 4 inches roughly sat in the windscreen of our car whilst we spent 6 months abroad over winter.

It worked well. The battery was fine on our return. It was even positioned westerly, best we could do at the time.

Don't know if such things are still available or would suit your needs. All water and power were turned off at the house to comply with the insurance requirements, so similar situation to storage.

EmilysDad replied on 12/07/2023 16:24

Posted on 12/07/2023 12:18 by warrant1145

I should clarify. I'm looking for something that can be connected to my battery whilst my van is storage. No mains supply is available. I had a look at the CTek and I don't believe this meets my needs. Thanks for the suggestion

Posted on 12/07/2023 16:24

Ah! 👍

Dan put a panel in the front window of his 'van which seemed to work OK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYp2UHMQyWY&t=546s  😉

Simon100 replied on 13/07/2023 20:32

Posted on 13/07/2023 20:32

I have a 100 watt solar panel which is about the same size as my front middle window. It sits on the front chest.

I charge the leisure battery through a controller in the van and cables going to the battery box.

The panel is not working at its full potential due to the angle of use in the van and the fact that the windows are tinted. Hence the relatively high power.

The solar panel is taken  down, and put into the boot of the car, when I am on site. 

If you Google 'Solar panel kit' I am sure that you will find something that suits your purpose.

Have a look at

https://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/Category/CaravanMotorhomeBoatKits

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook