Bailey Unicorn Series 3 - Damp

paulweller84 replied on 01/11/2021 12:24

Posted on 01/11/2021 12:24

Hi,

I’m currently looking at buying a Series 3 Unicorn Cartagena which has some damp on the front corners of the floor (underneath). I believe the water is getting in under the corner trims (that join the roof/front to the walls). Has anyone had this issue before? If so, what did it need to solve?

Also does anyone happen to have photos of the front corners with the trims removed? I’m trying to get an idea of the structure behind the covers to understand how it gets in. 

thanks 

Paul

viatorem replied on 01/11/2021 16:17

Posted on 01/11/2021 16:17

I have a U3 suffering from that problem. The outer cloaking covers are just for appearance the main skin that runs from the roof goes behind the cloaking panels to the floor underside.

On mine the the polyester outer skin falls Just short of the floor underside so water tracks into the plywood and Eventually rots the floor.

Not all vans are the same I've checked other U3s where the outer skin runs below the floor and water drips clear away from the floor. 

eribaMotters replied on 01/11/2021 16:59

Posted on 01/11/2021 16:59

Daft question, but why buy it if it has damp? If it has got in once then it could get in again and I'm guessing it can only be 6 or 7 years old.

Colin

Kerry Watkins replied on 02/11/2021 09:59

Posted on 02/11/2021 09:59

We have had similar problems with our 2010 Pegasus. All the front, side and  rear trims were removed and the joint between the walls and floor sealed and new trims fitted. It seems quite a common problem. Every year I now treat the underside of the floor with a liquid wood preserver which I spray on, paying particular attention to the joint between the walls and floor. As previously  said by others I think I would look for another caravan

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook