AL-KO ATC

Cartledge replied on 10/06/2021 13:15

Posted on 10/06/2021 13:15

Good Day Everyone.

I have a question on AL-KO ATC please. There is no answer in the AL-KO Chassis Handbook.

The current Swift Handbook contains a warning that the ATC system remains live all the time the 13 pin plug is connected to your tow vehicle. Further, if the car and caravan remain standing for a long period of time (such as on a ferry) the ATC will continue to draw power from your battery. No power or current rating is given.

As a user of the Plymouth - Santander route (20 hour ferry crossing) and the Portsmouth - Santander route (24 hour crossing) this is a little worrying.

I would prefer not to risk arriving in Santander (or Plymouth or Portsmouth on the way back) with a flat battery. On the other hand, I would prefer not to have to crawl around on my hands and knees on a ferry car deck, to disconnect/reconnect the 13 pin plug to avoid the problem.

Anyone experienced with Al-KO ATC any alternative solutions please?

Many thanks

Peter.

Cartledge replied on 13/06/2021 11:34

Posted on 13/06/2021 11:34

Thanks for this. Technical people at CMC hadn’t had the question before but recommended disconnecting the 13 pin plug as there may be other drains on the power supply apart from the ATC. 

EmilysDad replied on 13/06/2021 14:24

Posted on 13/06/2021 11:34 by Cartledge

Thanks for this. Technical people at CMC hadn’t had the question before but recommended disconnecting the 13 pin plug as there may be other drains on the power supply apart from the ATC. 

Posted on 13/06/2021 14:24

... Technical people at CMC hadn’t had the question before but 

I'm surprised🤷‍♂️  because the question has been raised here a few times

Putt Family replied on 29/07/2021 21:31

Posted on 29/07/2021 21:31

We used the ferry from Plymouth on an 8 hour crossing and left the car connected when we set off from the ferry the ATC red light was on. We pulled over and disconnected for 1/4 hr or so and reconnected all was then fine. Our family also had their van and they had the same problem.

I think during the crossing the motion of the ferry must have repeatdly activated the ATC, on the way home we disconnected and no issues green light all fine. 

ocsid replied on 30/07/2021 07:07

Posted on 30/07/2021 07:07

I disconnect our 13 pin connection and pull on the brake on ferry trips, thankfully the plug is well positioned to do so, it's not a crawling on hands and knees task.

But with your set up that is the case.

An alternative to server the connection is to pull the car's fuse serving that maintained feed. Again, in my case that would be a readily achievable task, as access to fuse is easy, it is located in a hatch on the "boot" side.

It might be worth exploring if doing that is something your setup offers.

I am not convinced breaking the feed is needed, but as it brings no benefit and can only sap some power and presents an unwanted risk, I prefer to uncouple ours. i leave a window cleaning micro cloth knotted on the wheel just in case my memory should ever fail me about coupling up and taking off the brake.

replied on 30/07/2021 08:04

Posted on 30/07/2021 08:04

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

footlooserv replied on 08/10/2021 22:48

Posted on 08/10/2021 22:48

I saw last week when leaving our caravan connected up for a quick get away on a one night stop our battery was down to 12.3V. I was surprised as normally a lot higher and realised the ATC was the draw down. Ok since and now I will always disconnect the plug.

My worry was that if we needed heating the fan is 12v driven even though we had gas hot air. (On a non electric cl)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook