Air conditioning

ScreenName9DDF417BBD replied on 30/06/2023 22:54

Posted on 30/06/2023 22:54

Heading onto the continent in the summer and I was hoping to get some advice on keeping the caravan cool especially during the evenings/nights to help the kids sleep.

If anyone has any solutions other than paying £1500 for a trauma air con unit I'm all ears.

Thanks

Bakers2 replied on 01/07/2023 08:44

Posted on 01/07/2023 08:44

What about those cool towels? The ones that don't need freezer or fridge.

Combine with fan, keep blinds closed most of the day, open windows to get through draught. Park in the shade if possible. Roof light ajar let heat out as it rises.

Mad thought now 😉. We've bought our dog a cool mat, that works well no chilling required. It certainly feels cool when you walk on it.

Cold water bottles?

replied on 01/07/2023 08:59

Posted on 01/07/2023 08:59

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 01/07/2023 09:08

Posted on 01/07/2023 09:08

In years of holidaying in the South of France we only used electric fans. Mind you temperatures seem to be getting higher these days! In our latest motorhome we had a Maxx Air fan fitted, about the third of the cost of an air con unit and it has the advantage that it runs off of 12v rather than mains 230v. The later could be important if you are on a site with a low ampage system. The Maxx Air won't be as effective as an air con unit but it is thermostatically controlled and you can have it set to air in or out. https://www.roadpro.co.uk/catalogue/03b-maxxair-maxxfan-roof-vents

David

eurortraveller replied on 01/07/2023 09:21

Posted on 30/06/2023 22:54 by ScreenName9DDF417BBD

Heading onto the continent in the summer and I was hoping to get some advice on keeping the caravan cool especially during the evenings/nights to help the kids sleep.

If anyone has any solutions other than paying £1500 for a trauma air con unit I'm all ears.

Thanks

Posted on 01/07/2023 09:21

Where are you going, and do you have the flexibility to hitch up and move if you are uncomfortable?

We moved away several times from unshaded sites in glaring sun in the far south of France,  and found things better in woodland on higher land where there was more breeze . 

Elsewhere fans were enough, but essential.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook