Advice regarding possible damp problem

ScreenName6F47E4B888 replied on 06/11/2021 12:17

Posted on 06/11/2021 12:17

Hi everyone,

I'm now at the end of my first season caravanning and in the process of getting my caravan ready for the winter.  When I was clearing out one of the lockers last Saturday, I noticed that the bottom of one of the struts felt damp to touch.  I had just washed the outside of the caravan so wondered if some water had somehow made its way into the locker, perhaps where the rim of the battery locker joins the van?  I've left the locker open all week and while it doesn't appear to have got any worse or spread further up the strut, it still feels damp to touch.  I've looked under the van and can't see any evidence of dampness underneath, however I'm concerned this could be the beginning of/ an indication of something more serious so wondered what others would do in this situation?  I've attached a couple of photos so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance,

John

eribaMotters replied on 06/11/2021 12:56

Posted on 06/11/2021 12:56

John, that is going to stay damp for a long time as air temperatures are low.  If it has not got any worse then my guess would be you've identified where the water got in. I'd be tempted to tape the offending joint to keep any rain out and then wait until next year when temperatures rise and you can safely play with a hose to soak things, knowing that you will be able to dry things out before attempting a reseal.

The other alternative would be to spend a lot of money with a caravan engineer, if you can get one with a heated workshop who has a time slot.

Colin

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook