Advice on caravan curtains wanted please

Impy replied on 09/02/2020 14:15

Posted on 09/02/2020 14:15

We have found a line of black mould/mildew on the lining of our front caravan curtains (the curtains that have the plastic hems with poppers top and bottom that fit into the tracks), has anyone got any advice on how to clean the mould/mildew off?  In the caravan manual it states that the curtains should be dry cleaned only so I am reluctant to wash them in case they shrink, it is only the lining that is marked not the curtain itself.

I would appreciate any help and advice that you can give.

JVB66 replied on 09/02/2020 14:30

Posted on 09/02/2020 14:30

We had some black mould on our insect blinds, and used Cillitbang? black mould remover,and rinsed off with cold water,  many years ago we had the lined curtains  (dry clean only)on one of caravans washed by,by a laundry (Bourton on the Water) and the owner advised they should not shrink ,and she was right,cool wash said she and no tumble drycool

JVB66 replied on 09/02/2020 16:13

Posted on 09/02/2020 16:08 by Impy

Thank you JVB66, washing the curtain (will do the whole set) will be a "last resort" - cool wash and no tumble dry - got it smile

Posted on 09/02/2020 16:13

And the lady even dropped the curtains off at the site we were on, as she passed on her way home ,to check (not sure if she had finger crossed  when we put the first one back) cool

Tinwheeler replied on 09/02/2020 16:21

Posted on 09/02/2020 16:21

I once removed mould on our curtain linings by gently and carefully wiping them with diluted Milton and rinsing sparingly with plain water afterwards. It worked a treat.

brue replied on 09/02/2020 16:37

Posted on 09/02/2020 16:37

Bleach type products "kill" the mould but go carefully as the fabric can be weakened. Protect the actual curtains when dabbing anything on to the linings. 

replied on 09/02/2020 17:37

Posted on 09/02/2020 17:37

The user and all related content has been deleted

Whittakerr replied on 10/02/2020 06:59

Posted on 10/02/2020 06:59

I had the same problem a while ago. Nothing i tried would remove the black stain and in the end i replaced the lining on all the curtains for a few pounds.

Impy replied on 10/02/2020 13:00

Posted on 10/02/2020 13:00

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help, I think I might go down the lemon juice or miltons route, I will have to be very careful as I cannot put anything between the curtains and lining due to the plastic strip and poppers.sown on the bottom.

mickysf replied on 10/02/2020 22:39

Posted on 10/02/2020 22:39

May be thoughts should be turned to prevention now. Best thing to do is ensure good air circulation around the van and its contents. Then make sure to open the curtains up so not tightly bunched up and keep material from touching the window itself. Open cupboards and move cushions (or remove) to let air circulate in lockers and stop them retaining absorbed moisture. Keep all vents to the outside unobstructed, even fridge covers some argue. They apparently are are for a different purpose, primarily to keep the cooling system warm would you believe, and working efficiently in 'very' cold weather I'm told. I must admit mind I do put mine on if driving fain is forecast.

Impy replied on 11/02/2020 18:30

Posted on 10/02/2020 22:39 by mickysf

May be thoughts should be turned to prevention now. Best thing to do is ensure good air circulation around the van and its contents. Then make sure to open the curtains up so not tightly bunched up and keep material from touching the window itself. Open cupboards and move cushions (or remove) to let air circulate in lockers and stop them retaining absorbed moisture. Keep all vents to the outside unobstructed, even fridge covers some argue. They apparently are are for a different purpose, primarily to keep the cooling system warm would you believe, and working efficiently in 'very' cold weather I'm told. I must admit mind I do put mine on if driving fain is forecast.

Posted on 11/02/2020 18:30

All of what you have quoted we have done and always have done, we also have several moisture traps situated in the caravan, we have owned a caravan for over 20 years now and this is the first time that we have ever had any kind of "problem", it is only one curtain that is affected (all of the curtains are drawn/closed and blinds up when the 'van is not in use, winter & summer.)  We thought that the very wet autumn/winter we are having (the same as everyone else) probably hasn't helped.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook