Adria Adora Tiber

LesleySp replied on 14/10/2021 21:34

Posted on 14/10/2021 21:34

We were thinking of buying an Adria Adora caravan to replace our Sterling Elite 560 but we have a few concerns about the Adora that we'd appreciate some help on:

Size - Although the body length is "only" 6.83m but 8.24m in total, it is longer than twin axle caravans and has a very long A-frame, is this a problem when towing, pitching or with insurance? Also at 2.46m is this really wider than other 8 foot caravans?

ATC - Should I worry that ATC is not included or available as a factory option? I also can't determine if shock absorbers are fitted as standard.

TIA. 

Tirril replied on 16/10/2021 20:43

Posted on 16/10/2021 20:43

I have a single axle Hymer with the long A frame. It is just over 8 mtrs so a fraction shorter than yours. It has uprated weight allowance to 2000kgs and we do tow it at the max. Although it has ATC I have never experienced it activating which I certainly did with a Swift single axle 585 which was much shorter. Previously I have towed a twin axle and like you wondered just how steady such a long single axle would prove. Having towed the Hymer for the last 3 years including continental trips I have never once felt any wavering of the caravan even when being over taken by coaches on the motorway. The long A frames certainly works and I would not go back to a twin axle as they are difficult to manoeuvre even with a motor mover. I personally would buy the same again. The only thing I do not favour are 8 ft wide caravans as we do a lot of minor roads journeys and the extra width makes passing vehicles and obstructions more to watch. Even some C.L site entrances can be tricky. Many sites have an 8 mtr max pitch length so occasionally it may restrict your pitch choice. Adria is a very good make and should give excellent service

Extugger replied on 17/10/2021 07:18

Posted on 17/10/2021 07:18

I've owned an Adria Adora since 2015, with the same dimensions as the Tiber. Adria's are well known for being excellent and stable units to tow - the Adora is no exception, being rock-solid on the roads. This is down to a couple of things, the first being the extended A-frame. The second, which most people don't realise, is they're built on a Euro Alko Delta chassis, different to the UK built caravans. I towed mime for many thousands of kilometres (and miles in the UK) without any issues whatsover. My model didn't come with shock absorbers back then, which I added, if nothing else than to help protect my tyres against the pot-holed roads here. At less than £150 fitted, it seemed excellent value to me.

As far as ATC is concerned - it may well have some safety benefits and yet we all see pictures of caravans with it fitted, upside down on carriageways. To me it's an unnecessary extra, particularly as many towing cars nowadays have some kind of 'trailer sway control' fitted. Others swear by it, although don't have a clue if it's ever activated.

The most important thing to remember is to not allow yourself to get into the situation in the first place by being competent and staying alert, having the correct noseweight and loading the caravan safely. 

Insurance wasn't an issue either (apart from the eye-watering cost of premiums with CAMC!). I also invested about £25 in Smartwater, which I immediately got back as a discount from one insurer.

Adria is a very good product indeed. Having had nearly all UK built caravans in my 40 years of towing - I wouldn't buy anything else. Admittedly, the UK vans are 'prettier' inside but I like the modern, boutique, Scandinavian 'feel' and I love the space and quality build. It's reassuring when your own service engineer recommends the brand (he had his new model on order) and promptly tells you the following year(s) what a great product it is.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook