Volvo xc 60

gdad13 replied on 16/10/2018 15:09

Posted on 16/10/2018 15:09

Whilst touring Scotland my Volvo XC60 year 2012, with 50000miles , had to have a new auto gearbox at a cost of £5000. I do hope this years tow car of the year achieves a greater mileage.

Moderator Comment - Not really a Story, as laid out in the instructions  so moved to Towcars

lornalou1 replied on 16/10/2018 23:13

Posted on 16/10/2018 23:13

Has it been towing for 6 years and has it had a gearbox service ie  oil change. I personally don't like this sealed for life rubbish. Lots of info on volvo owners website.  https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=257449 

asda160 replied on 19/10/2018 07:01

Posted on 16/10/2018 15:09 by gdad13

Whilst touring Scotland my Volvo XC60 year 2012, with 50000miles , had to have a new auto gearbox at a cost of £5000. I do hope this years tow car of the year achieves a greater mileage.

Moderator Comment - Not really a Story, as laid out in the instructions  so moved to Towcars

Posted on 19/10/2018 07:01

....if your transmission is the 6 speed auto it is an Aisin and is not built by Volvo.

It is a very common unit used by a myriad of vehicle manufacturers.

It is a very reliable unit if Aisin's advice is adhered to which is if towing change that oil early. 

Oil degrades and is hygroscopic causing debris in valves in turn causing catastrophic failures. Colour of your oil tells all.

Volvo say sealed for life if not towing but if you read the manual they too go on to say change at every 50k if arduous conditions such as towing. I would place towing a caravan in Scotland as very arduous.

Did you have the oil changed? If so you may have some recourse with Volvo even if it is only a contribution towards the cost, more so if you have been loyal and had the vehicle serviced by Volvo.

If you've had it from new and have done the 50k and didn't read that bit of the manual, well you chanced your luck and it ran out !

I bought my XC70 with 38k miles already on the clock and even though it did not have a tow are fitted until I purchased it, I didn't know the driving style of the previous owner so at 48k had the oil changed. It cost me £200 and I have adhered to what Volvo and Aisin ask of me as I tow with it on a regular basis, i.e. arduous conditions. If mine goes bang I'll have a strong case.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook