Hobby troubles

daxrush replied on 04/06/2023 11:17

Posted on 04/06/2023 11:17

Oct 2019 is were we entered the caravan scene after selling our motorhome. Bought a new Hobby 560cfe premium for the sum of £33k from Hobby dealer in Derbyshire.

Whats gone wrong-defective worktop within 1st year, shower control failed, cupboard door handle snapped, mirror snapped in wifes hand, magnetic mirror catch snapped, but more importantly the roof flashing started coming apart approx 1 year into ownership.

Van placed into Hobby agent in stockton for inspection and service, collected van to find they had charged me £480.00 to fix the roof flashing which I had not instructed them to repair or charge me. I assumed that any such repair would be carried out under warranty.

A year later the flashing had come apart again and agent wants nothing to do with it

Hobby insist this is just a cover flashing. they offered to pay for parts only if I paid for labour. They told me to find someone closer to me to repair as their nearest agent would now not touch my van. This is probably down to why I complained to them about being charged for the above work and that when I left their workshop after having the van serviced the vans brakes failed.

Van was placed into another caravan service centre for inspection where they found that someone has used 4 small screws to hold the roof down to the wall as they were separating and letting water in. This could have only happened in the hands of Hobby/agent as van has never been anywhere but authorised people.

inspection sent to Hobby who are refusing to fix what is in my opinion a manufacturing failure of the structure which again in my opinion started approx a year from new.

Hobby tried to get my caravan inspected by another caravan repairer who where put forward by the earlier mentioned Hobby agent who to be fair then refused to do the inspection when I told them of the issues between me Hobby and their local agent.

Trading standards are involved although I do not believe we can get any backup from them to sort this out.

Hobby have come back again with another caravan inspector but again this has been arranged by the Hobby local agent who is part of the original problem.

I now have a caravan which I cannot sell on if I wanted too and a van which will no doubt deteriorate.

Not sure where to go from here.

Moderator Comment - Moved from Story Section

eurortraveller replied on 04/06/2023 18:49

Posted on 04/06/2023 18:49

Please don’t think I am critical, but sadly  your original mistake was taking a one year old caravan to an agent in Stockton instead of to the dealer in Derbyshire from whom you bought it. Your warranty was with him. 

If I were in your shoes if Hobby won’t help you I would take the financial hit and pay an independent repairer to get the van put in decent order - then sell it. Someone from the travelling community  will buy it and it will be a weight off your shoulders.

Then put it behind you. Don’t buy another but take your holidays some other way.  I do hope life has better things in store for you.

replied on 04/06/2023 20:22

Posted on 04/06/2023 20:22

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 06/06/2023 12:12

Posted on 06/06/2023 12:12

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook