Family Membership - question

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 30/07/2017 11:08

Posted on 30/07/2017 11:08

The Club website states:  "You can include a joint member to your membership free of charge. Additional family members can be added for £8 each."
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/faqs/membership#joining

I was under the impression that the above only applies to family members sharing a single outfit (caravan / motorhome), and that they use the same address. 

Is this the case, or could (distant) family members pay the extra £8 (same membership number but different names on the cards), have different outfits and live at different addresses (albeit using one correspondence address and share one magazine / Sites Directory)?

Ian Kelly

01691 622951
Holiday@BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill, The Cross, Ellesmere, Shropshire, SY12 0LP
www.BirchHill.co.uk

Birch Hill Farm - an award-winning hideaway in the beautiful lake-lands of Shropshire - exclusively for members of the Caravan and Motorhome Club

brue replied on 30/07/2017 11:55

Posted on 30/07/2017 11:55

We came unstuck several years ago when we visited a club site with one of our grown up children. We forgot it was a members only site and our daughter was travelling separately after work. Other than suggestions that she slept in a lay by or pay full membership just for a one night visit we got into quite a bit of "local" difficulties at reception involving phone calls to the club. All in torrential rain and gales on the Cornish coast. It did not endear us to the club even though it was our genuine error. It was resolved by a smoke and mirrors approach. I'm afraid it's a one family, one address, one membership inflexible deal. frown

BirchHillFarmCL replied on 30/07/2017 12:11

Posted on 30/07/2017 11:55 by brue

We came unstuck several years ago when we visited a club site with one of our grown up children. We forgot it was a members only site and our daughter was travelling separately after work. Other than suggestions that she slept in a lay by or pay full membership just for a one night visit we got into quite a bit of "local" difficulties at reception involving phone calls to the club. All in torrential rain and gales on the Cornish coast. It did not endear us to the club even though it was our genuine error. It was resolved by a smoke and mirrors approach. I'm afraid it's a one family, one address, one membership inflexible deal. frown

Posted on 30/07/2017 12:11

I thought that was the case, but the Club website FAQ section does not make that clear.

Ian

brue replied on 30/07/2017 12:22

Posted on 30/07/2017 12:22

No it doesn't and you need a head torch and magnifying glass to find it in the club rules. The simple description given in your example is  inaccurate and misleading. 

Tinwheeler replied on 30/07/2017 13:01

Posted on 30/07/2017 13:01

What's more, on club sites, one membership number can only be used for booking one pitch. A separate unit would need a second membership number.

eurortraveller replied on 30/07/2017 13:27

Posted on 30/07/2017 13:27

I sympathise, Brue. It's this sort of obsession with inflexible rules which put me off Club sites years ago. The whole idea of "membership" should be killed off and buried. I don't need membership for Premier Inns or Center Parcs or any of the caravan sites I go to. And yet this is the Club which says it is modernising its image to attract a wider clientele !

KjellNN replied on 30/07/2017 14:48

Posted on 30/07/2017 14:48

Do you mean your daughter was travelling with her own  outfit, so 2 pitches required?   

Or was she to stay with you as your guest?

JVB66 replied on 30/07/2017 15:12

Posted on 30/07/2017 15:12

A family member is some one who is family and who lives at the same address as the main members and can use main members outfit, and ,according to one of my "contacts"there are some who flout this but of course get "caught" when trying to use their own outfits on the same site as the main members,  or with the new booking system try to book the same site as the member, which it will not allow as the membership number is the same,

brue replied on 30/07/2017 15:39

Posted on 30/07/2017 14:48 by KjellNN

Do you mean your daughter was travelling with her own  outfit, so 2 pitches required?   

Or was she to stay with you as your guest?

Posted on 30/07/2017 15:39

KJ, she was travelling separately after work in her car then going on the next day to visit extended family further south in Cornwall. She also paid the extra to park her car too, arriving in the dark on a stormy night. Equally I could have had my Mum with me, so beware of taking an extra family guest on a members only site. We had our big caravan then and there was room for one more in the van. We had failed to notice it was a members only site, I'm sure it happens to others too.

No doubt CL owners are faced with similar problems hence the OP. Granny in the van is a no no if she doesn't live with you! frown

Navigateur replied on 30/07/2017 17:37

Posted on 30/07/2017 17:37

. . . . or grandchild for that matter!

Tesco (and all the rest) give you extra loyalty cards for pals to use. Caravan Club policy is "keep out".

brue replied on 30/07/2017 18:34

Posted on 30/07/2017 18:34

A sort of buy one, bring one free, policy would be good....smile (I don't mean a non paying guest, just a guest who is not a member.)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook